Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Snow Is A Comin....


So, I can't wait for the snow to arrive in NYC. They lit the tree in Rockafeller Centre yesterday - it's right near my work - and although the crowds made it temporarily unbearable, there is something about that ceremony that makes this city feel officially set for the holidays. NYC in the winter is so great. I really hope that we have snow this year that sticks around. The wet and slushy kind is just a major inconvenience and gets all grey and gross so quickly. So I am looking forward to winter...

With that approaching of course there's lots to remember and I have got to send out cards this year. I am the worst at writing letters and promised myself I would do it this time around. I get all nostalgic and wishy-washy around this time. I will also be celebrating a birthday in a couple of days. Doing some celebrating with friends this weekend so that should be nice.

I have to mention a bit of politics here too. Not to rain on the parade but just to point out that Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada, is a complete and utter Jackass. I wouldn't put him in a league near that of Bush in terms of how grand an Asshole he is, but he's pretty bad.

As proud as I am of being Canadian, it makes me sick to think that that jackpot is in control right now. Although it should be noted that he only has a minority government so his time is running very very short. So, basically he has promised to introduce a bill before Christmas proposing that the Canadian government re-open the debate on Gay marriage. Everyone knows the bill will not pass including Harper, so he is using specifically to reassure his legions of Conservative whackjobs that he is indeed a right wing christian and is always going to fight for their definitions of what constitutes a proper life.

What really irks me about it is that he is using gays and lesbians to do this in such a twisted way. He knows the bill will not pass, but he also knows that proposing the discussion will get LGBT groups to be vocal and advertise and lobby and the result will be an upswing in support from christian nutties. That basically makes us fundraisers for him. Yuck. The more we vocalize opposition the stronger his base is going to rally. I hate that. It makes me want to tell the LGBT groups to keep it quiet - but then they can't do that or it is like saying that what he is proposing is okay....

Just bugs me that it so works in his favour right now. That sucks. Man I wish there was some Foley-esque dirt on him, but that would mean someone else was taken advantage of.... Maybe he's got a Mike Jones in his closet - mmmm that would be sweet. He needs a lover like the dude above right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home