Sunday, October 08, 2006

A Couple of Things...


So, I have been working like a madman and in an attempt to catch up on some extra expenses I have maybe been taking on a bit more than I can chew. The opportunity for me to do a little bit of work back at one of the schools in Manhattan has presented itself and I may do it for a few days a month. It will have to be on my days off and I think it might be okay.... makes me nervous though.

All the work plus my mom was here visiting for a week and I of course loved that and felt terribly guilty that I had to work while she was here. On the few days I had off we went to the Vollard exhibit at the Met. I loved it! I am a big Gaugin fan and although I was never so much in Renoir the pieces in the show were really something. There was even a restored film that showed Renoir shortly before his death. It was footage of him working with arthritis so severe that his hands almost didn't resemble actual hands - they were so twisted and swollen from the arthritis. He must have been in such pain and yet still managed to create things of such unique beauty. Amazing really. I think my mom really liked it too.

I am stoked about the new show coming at the Brooklyn Museum this month. It is a retrospective of Annie Leibovitz. It's going to be incredible. She has taken so many iconic shots over the past twenty years and I find her work absolutely stunning. Can't wait.

It was just so great having mom here to visit. She's amazing. I do not go back home to the farm very often anymore since my dad had such a huge falling out with most of the rest of the family. So many issues there that there just isn't enough time here for them. Suffice it to say that his problems have all but driven his entire family away from him. It's sad really. I've just reached a point with it where I have realized that he's not likely going to change - ever. That makes it a little easier I guess because I've spent so much time wanting him to change so that we could have a real relationship. It's not there though... who knows really but I don't hope for it as much as I used to.

On a personal note I met a very charming man last night. It was a strange encounter really because he had many qualities that I would normally find very intriguing... but there was just something missing. I was attracted to him physically and all but it seemed strange that I just wasn't so much in the mood for anything really... granted, we had some fun, but I guess it is just that I want more - something deeper - something bigger - something more... makes me feel blue. The pic is Thijs Van Gils - a talented photographer with a very sexy eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home