Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ack! Can You Believe It?


After being nervous for the entire weekend and still yesterday I finally got all dressed up in my finest couture and headed off to my first day at what really is quite a dreamy job... and guess what??? The individual who was supposed to sit and fill out all of the requisite paperwork with me had called in sick. I was devastated. Of course I had to put on such a happy face and say "Oh, no problem, I'll get in touch with her over the phone and we can reschedule... blah blah blah". I was so excited and it felt so good and then nothin'.

So, I guess I get to be excited about it all over again tomorrow and I will just pretend that that is my first day.

It's weird that way cause this seems to have a habit of happening to me. Take for example my very first job here in NYC... After moving here from Vancouver I was all bright eyed and unsuspecting as I made my way to the South Bronx (had never been before) to the school that I was assigned to. As I road the bus the short distance from the subway stop I passed burnt-out buildings, tons of garbage everywhere, and I quickly realized that I was indeed the only white person that I has seen for some time. I realize now how odd that seems and I can hardly believe it but it happened.

Anyhow, I get to my school and make my way to the main office where I find the other recruits gathering. The meeting had just begun and the principal notices me looking a little confused as I did not receive my snazzy welcome back (full of illegible photocopies and other useless garbage) and he says "and you are?". I responded with my name and he looked puzzled.... "and you are here for...?".

Well it turns out that he completely forgot hiring me and didn't have the slightest clue who I was. Not a clue! This despite the fact that we had spoken numerous times in the weeks leading up to this day and throughout all of our conversations he had no idea who I was. What and idiot! And to think that this was the best impression he gave to any of us. It was all down hill with him from there. Way down hill - a steep hill.

So, let's hope that today's little mishap is not going to be anything like my introduction to the wonderful and fantastic NYC Board of Education. God, it can't possibly be that bad.

For just a moment I would like to reflect on yesterday's pic... that one is gonna be hard to top. Possibly the hottest I have ever seen on any blog (not to brag or anything). Of course today's is good too as I continue with a streak of my ideal physical fantasies. Here's hoping.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tay Hota said...

prefer today's pic... gorgeous black men are so rfare on blogs... your tale remind me of my first day in teaching as well. I was 23 when I started teaching, but looked about 15... My principal hired me after three lengthy interview sessions, but unpon my arrival the first work day of the year she notified me that "students don't report for classes until next week." She had no idea who I was. ; ) That doesn't happen anymore. :(

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home